Traditional Car Key
If you lose it: You could call a locksmith, who can come and make you a new key on the spot.
In some cases—an unusual or older vehicle—a locksmith may not be able to help.
You might need to buy a new ignition lock cylinder and key from the dealer or an independent repair shop.
- 1 Can I get a new car key if I lost mine?
- 2 Can you program car keys yourself?
- 3 How do you make a car key when you lost the original?
- 4 Can a locksmith make a car key without the original?
- 5 Can I claim for lost car keys on my insurance?
- 6 Can AAA replace lost car keys?
- 7 Can you get a key made for a car with the VIN number?
Can I get a new car key if I lost mine?
No, it does not matter, if you’ve lost your only set of keys, an auto locksmith can provide you with a replacement and re-program the new car key to match your vehicle. The old key will be de-programmed to make it useless, in case it has been stolen.
Can you program car keys yourself?
Transponder chip keys have to be programmed before they will be able to start your vehicle. Once a key is cut, an automotive locksmith or car dealership can program it for you. You may be able to program keys from older model vehicles yourself.
How do you make a car key when you lost the original?
How to Make a Car Key When You’ve Lost the Original
- Check the inside cover of the owner’s manual for the key code for cars built before 1981, or look on the original sales invoice from the dealer.
- Remove the interior door panel and look for the key code stamped on the lock mechanism.
- Give the key code to a locksmith and ask him to make a duplicate for you.
Can a locksmith make a car key without the original?
You can still acquire a replacement key if you have lost the original. An experienced locksmith will be able to make a replacement key for you even if you do not have the original. When you contact a locksmith, you will need to supply some information to the company before your key can be replaced.
Can I claim for lost car keys on my insurance?
If your car key is lost or stolen, you may be able to claim for the cost of a replacement on your car insurance policy. Some insurers offer key cover as standard on their car insurance policies. With other insurers, you’ll only get cover for lost and stolen keys with an upgraded policy, or as an add-on.
Can AAA replace lost car keys?
No Keys, No Problem. AAA members tow your car for free to any Keyless Shop location. We can also come to you for an additional $100. For AAA members, If all keys are lost we recommend getting AAA to tow your car to any our locations and we can make the key, this is the most affordable way.
Can you get a key made for a car with the VIN number?
As long as you can prove ownership of your vehicle a car key can be made with the Vehicle Identification Number aka VIN number. Once a key code is pulled from the VIN number a car key can be cut. However most vehicles keys also have transponders in them and most be programmed to the car.
Photo in the article by “CMSWire”